If you are a meat lover or you may consume red meat and processed meat products daily with your diet due to its enhanced taste, sometimes you may wonder with these products whether they are healthy or not. Consumption of red and processed meat has both advantages as well as disadvantages that combine with health.
Advantages of Red Meat?
- It has that obtains from all mammalian muscle meat including beef, veal, pork, lamb, horse, goat, sheep are rich sources of several nutritious which are essential for the body metabolism.
- Red meats are iron (Fe) rich sources which plays a major in body metabolism. Red meat is another rich source of vitamins B. They are large reservoirs of thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, niacin, Vitamin B12 ect.
- Vitamin B12 helps to maintain healthy DNA, nerves and healthy blood cells.
- Red meat also rich sources of Zinc (Zn), proteins, calories, minerals like cupper, phosphorous, chromium, magnesium, nickel and selenium. Those are help to maintain bone and muscle healthy, proper immune system function, healthy functioning of cardiovascular organs.
- Red meat which supply omega 3 fats that keeps heart functions properly. Specially better for people those who had heart attacks.
Disadvantages Of Red Meat?
There is a risk associated with higher consumption of red and processed meat with cancer. Some people enjoy with these products daily due to the taste. Specially They consume processed meat products.
International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), respected and most well known authority of the world health organization pronounced that there is an association of cancer with eating red and processed meat in large amounts. They (IARC) had made this pronouncement after evaluating more than 800 of varies types of studies. Studies shows that twelve types of cancers in population are along with diverse diet and bad dietary habits.
The IARC classified red meat as probably cause of cancer or Group 2A classification.
And the processed meat (Ham, bacon, salami, sausages) as definite causes of cancer or Group 1 carcinogen. Same group include smoking and alcohol.
The authority doesn’t pronounce that what should be the specific dietary recommendation and how much processed meat is too dangerous. But they have clearly defined that cancer risk rises with amount consumed. They pronounce that consumption of each 50-gram portion of processed meat rises the risk of colon cancer by 18 percent. This is one risk of Red Meat and cancer.
Red meat naturally presented Haem iron, Homocysteine, Archidonic acid, red meat itself probably cause carcinogenic problems. Haem breaks the hemoglobin inside the gut and form N-nitroso compounds like chemicals which probably cause carcinogenic problems lead to damage the cells in colon.
Processed meat products are rich with enhance flavor and improved preservatives (higher keeping quality). This is because of the raw meat exposure to several manufacturing processes such as salting, smoking, fermentation, curing. Experts have found that chemicals used in processing of red meat form carcinogenic compounds inside the body.
Specially in curing used nitrites and nitrates as preservatives (improved preservation). Inside our body those nitrates and nitrites compounds are converted into cancer causing compounds (carcinogenic compounds). Inside the gut (In digestive tract nitrites and nitrates are converted in to nitrosamines which probably cause carcinogenic problems like prostate cancers, pancreatic cancers, colon cancers.
Also in the manufacturing process of red meat (red meat to processed forms) like smoking, curing, salting several chemical compounds are formed which cause carcinogenic problem to human (Said by Alok khorna, Director, Gastrointestinal cancer program at Cleveland Clinc).
- Heterocyclic amines (HCAs)
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs).
- Also chemicals naturally present within increase the risk of cancers.
- Phenol compounds which are presented in smoked meat and form when smoking meat raises the cancer risk.
Red Meat and Cancer Myth
Do not get the red or processed meat with your diet and meat should be replaced from vegetable sources. This statement is not true. International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC in ncri cancer conference ), has clearly pronounce that above statement is only tally with higher portions. It is depending upon amount you consumed. Experts suggest that there is no risk of having cancers, consumption of 500g or less of red meat a week (doesn’t significantly increased).
Avoiding red meat from diet is not the answer for the cancers. Red meat is rich sources of some certain nutrients which cannot obtain from vegetable sources (some amino acids). So we should have red meat under control portions. Moderate amounts do not cause any unhealthy effects.Moderate amounts of processed meat also do not cause any unhealthy effects. There is a higher impact of processed meat on cancer risk than red meat. This is true. Because of the several processing methods used when processing of red meat form several carcinogenic compounds.
Therefore we can overcome with this (Read meat and cancer) by using,
- Gentler cooking methods
- Avoid over heating methods
- Reduce cooking time
- Trim fat and flip regularly
- Marinate meat with natural herbs and spices like methods
This the connection between Red meat and cancer. Share your experiences on Red meat and Cancer by commenting here or over social media pages or email. It will help all of us to get more information about “Read meat and Cancer”.